Third, almost everyone thinks (whether right or wrong) that hollowpoints are the best possible bullet design so that is where the market is and that is what ammunition manufacturers produce. The .357 was a collaborative development in the early 1930s based on the .38. These days though, revolvers aren’t getting the love they deserve anymore. I see these revolver vs semi comparisons. Ok, I thought of another downside that is significant. 5.7 x 28 is an unappreciated little round but not very common – or cheap. One of those advantages is greater capacity and spare magazines (i.e. I think it’s a bit like apples and oranges. The more you have the more funner they are. Found a good backcountry load for the 38 LCR x 3″ Both are irrelevant. If we were to look at five-shot compact revolvers only — the only true place that 9mm and .38 intersect — we’d have to look at Ruger’s LCR series or the like and it would be a toss-up in that case. A wad cutter punches a nasty hole, but it’s a .355-.358 inch hole, with typically similar to slightly better penetration numbers. I believe that the 9mm vs. 38 Special argument is settled not by the cartridges, but rather the guns. Either will work, or NOT work, as the case may be. I hear a lot of people saying the .38 Special is better for novice shooters because it’s a revolver cartridge — well, the highly versatile 9mm can also be a revolver cartridge, so they’re dead wrong. Outside the house, camping on BLM roads etc, its the 9mm all the way. to truly compare them at their full potentials, the 9mm should be in a 4.7″ semiauto and the 38SPL should be in a 7.5″ revolver. Even at their modest muzzle velocity of about 825 feet-per-second coming out of a snubnosed revolver, they are serious fight stoppers because they make a pretty huge hole (about twice the non-expanded bullet diameter) in human attackers. Two advantages that I see for the 9mm revolver are: 1) it generates higher velocity from a short barrel, and 2) bullets lighter than 125 grains are (somewhat) easier to locate. All other things being equal i.e. These two cartridges are, for the most part, more similar than they are different. – The .38 Special can be loaded far hotter than what you see in SAAMI specs. I’ve heard that some people ream the cylinder of stronger .38 Special revolvers (mostly Rugers and older Smiths) while others install a stronger cylinder to accept higher-pressure magnum rounds. If I accomplish that much, I figure I did pretty darn good. These days though, revolvers aren’t getting the love they deserve anymore. While technically, the .357 Magnum is a .38 Special (just one that’s on steroids) being it’s essentially the same cartridge (only differences are it can push the same .357-inch diameter bullet at much faster velocities and its longer case is rated for twice the SAAMI pressure the .38 Special can handle: 35,000 psi, coincidentally the same SAAMI spec as that of the 9mm’s), as far as revolver prices a .357 Magnum revolver isn’t a .38 Special revolver. I have the LCR 38 +P and I recently acquired a pristine S&W model 940 (steel frame Centennial in 9mm) which I haven’t fired yet. Good story. After consulting BBTI, I must respectfully disagree. Lucky Gunner has some good bulk ammo deals online — their lowest priced 9mm ammo cost 14.9¢ per round while their cheapest .38 Special ammo cost 25.5¢ per round. Here are a couple more data points: My understanding is that 9mm Luger 147 grain bullets would not typically expand to 0.7 inches coming out of a sub-compact pistol. Better than pepper spray…. In competition use some are tying the gun up as the crimp isnt intended to handle revolver type intertia, the bullet is jumping the crimp. There’s always .38+P, and with a 5in. Edit or create new comparisons in your area of expertise. .38 is a great back up, Dont put the 9mm in a revolver. They are also used to hunt small game including deer, and for target shooting. We’ll just say that the extra half inch accounts for any cylinder gap loss. .38 spl jhp 5 hits 175-350 cents a round. But strictly speaking, all .357 Magnum revolvers are .38 Special revolvers. That’s arguably the most important reason most folks won’t use them for defense purposes–they want to carry autoloaders. 380 ACP Assorted 90 JHP 1000 200. Cool, you’re looking at performance in a lab without any medium to hit, and most BBTI tests are just done by chopping down metal pipe. Alabama Arsenal did a review on the CMMG 5.7 Banshee. The two are so close that there’s no real advantage unless you own other guns in one cartridge or another, which makes it a battle of logistics, not ballistics. Pick what’s best for you and get comfortable with it, be it a GLOCK 43 or a Smith & Wesson 642. They create huge holes in the animals which those hunters shot. 9mm is designed for semi-auto operation, has more power than 38 special, has a 9mm bullet, around 400 ft-lbs of energy. If you have a 1911 chambered for the 9mm, you have the option to buy a drop-in .38 Super barrel and just switch barrels. A quality 38 special revolver is perfect for novice and inexperienced shooters. Any revolver chambered for the .357 Magnum will safely chamber and shoot three different loads: Some people say it’s great for target shooting, but in my experience, cleaning a .357 Magnum revolver after firing boxes of .38 Specials in it can be a real pain. Disclaimer: I have never performed any autopsies involving either caliber mentioned. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Taurus, and Charter Arms all manufacture such revolvers. .38 cartridges are most commonly used in revolvers, although they can also be used in some semi-automatic pistols and carbines. They are the most popular revolver cartridge in the world and are used for target shooting, personal defense and hunting small game. To have a winner, I would need to make it so that the cartridges have some real and discernible differences in a similar field. 5.7 is still there waiting for you to get on board. There are many, many variations of this, as both cartridges have a wide projectile weight range and velocities. I have a Shield that I’m not really fond of. People who like to use nothing less than 158 grain +P 38’s will not see that as an advantage. Here’s a comparison that looks pretty close. A better comparison might be .38SPL vs. .380ACP. to compare them in a Glock 43 and Smith & Wesson 642 puts the 9mm at a small disadvantage and the 38SPL at a huge disadvantage. Hoiwever, the .38 Special is especially renowned for its accuracy.