The flight would take the pair directly over the most remote parts of the Peruvian rainforest, an unforgiving region known for its extreme environments and dangerous animals. Her fall through the thick overhead canopy had left her with a severe concussion and a broken collarbone, a scrape on one arm and a deep gash on her leg. The Peruvian government subsequently fined LANSA and some of its employees, and suspended the airline's operating license for 90 days as a consequence. Despite it being early afternoon, the dense clouds blocking out all signs of the sun made it seem as if the Koepcke’s flight was in the air at midnight. Heeding past advice from her father, Juliane began walking and swimming downstream along a small river, hoping that it would lead to a larger tributary and an area that might have people around. “Now it’s all over.”, she said. Approximate flight route of LANSA Flight 508. All other 154 passengers and two people on the ground were killed by the plane taking off from Detroit's Metro Airport. Constant helicopter patrols could not even find the wreckage of the plane. container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-8', As LANSA flight 508 flew through the thunderstorm, the plane with 91 people on board was battered with severe turbulence. Juliane Koepcke as a teenager in 1971, was the lone survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 plane crash and then survived 11 days alone in the Amazon Rainforest. She was in shock, confused and frequently losing consciousness. The 72-year-old father with a young family takes the same flight onboard the turboprop frequently and he told CNN that he knew something wasn’t right. He was also featured in the documentary 'Sole Survivor. Na elf dagen lang lopen, waden en zwemmen door het oerwoud wist zij een schuilhut te bereiken. Ruben, a nine-year-old Dutch boy who was the sole survivor of a plane crash in the Libyan capital. [4], August 9, 1970 was a Sunday, and Flight 502 was originally scheduled to depart Cuzco at 8:30 am,[5][6][7] but since many of the members of the American group wanted to visit the nearby Pisac native handicraft market prior to leaving for Lima, the airline postponed the departure time to 2:45 pm.[7]. The Peruvian government investigated the accident, and in its final report concluded that the probable cause of the accident was the improper execution of engine-out procedures by the flight crew, with contributing factors of improper loading of the aircraft and improper maintenance procedures by company personnel. “His lips were blue. Her watch, still ticking despite the hard landing, read 9 am. There were 49 American high school exchange students on board, all of whom perished.